Energy. Such an elusive commodity for some of us. Feeling tired every day is exhausting!
Who doesn’t want more energy every day? Clearly, you do. So keep reading as there are 3 simple steps below that can help you.
As for me, I thought having no energy or motivation to get things done was a symptom of getting older. Being under that illusion for such a long time was exhausting!
Now I have plenty of energy and feel motivated to do most things I used to do when I was much younger.
And, here’s the truth.
Your energy does not have to decline with age
Unless you don’t take care of yourself. No-one wants to experience burnout!
Forming good habits and looking after yourself is an essential part of healthy ageing.
Of course, you already have habits – everyone does. But, are your habits working for you?
If you think it’s time to bring some new easy healthy habits to create more energy into your life, read on.
So, what makes a habit good?
I believe that a good habit should nourish you and your body. It should be easy. And, it should be consistent.
Of course, if you really want to create the best possible life for yourself, you know, to have a body with more energy, enjoy good health and get things done, then there are some basic needs that have to be met. I believe good daily habits can help you get there faster.
Here’s three easy and simple things to begin incorporating into your daily habits for more energy:
1. Morning Hydration. Every. Single. Day.
Start the day with this simple habit. Add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of warm or cold water and drink before breakfast. Your cells need to be well hydrated to produce more energy.
Also, good hydration leads to the following immediate benefits, such as:
- reboots your digestion after a long night of rest and get’s everything moving
- stimulates release of digestive enzymes from the pancreas for better food breakdown at breakfast
- rehydrates you after a sleep. (Did you know that simply breathing while you sleep can cause dehydration if you don’t drink water before bed or through the night? And, we lose a little water when we exhale and in hot weather, we can sweat at night. See – your body uses water during the night for many functions)
- alkalises your system which means less inflammation and better kidney support
- contains Vitamin C, an essential vitamin we need to consume daily as we don’t store it like other vitamins
Signs you may need to drink more water and need alkalising:
- Muscle cramping
- Brain fog
- Low energy
- Dry skin
2. Increase fibre
Did you know you need at least 25gm of soluble and insoluble fibre every day for your digestive system to work well? Because good digestion means better nutrient absorption and better energy – your cells will love you!
In addition, you’ll get these immediate benefits:
- feeling full so you have less of chance of overeating
- slower digestion so that you have better blood sugar balance
- reduced bloating
- regular bowel movements
- a natural detox as fibre sweeps through your digestive tract picking up everything that needs to be eliminated. Everything from toxins to cholesterol to excess hormones
Clearly, there are signs you need more fibre in your diet:
- constipation or your bowels are sluggish to empty
- high cholesterol
- heavy menstruation or other oestrogen dominant symptoms
- bloated a lot of the time and you feel uncomfortable after eating
- loads of gas 🙁
- tests showing your blood glucose and/or insulin is not healthy
- colonies of your microbiota are low, and
- weight gain
3. Include protein and healthy fats at every meal
In my experience, a blood sugar imbalance is one of the biggest drains on our energy. You’ll feel tired, if not exhausted if you’re not managing blood glucose well.
Change the way your body utilises glucose easily by always including protein, fibre and healthy fats with every meal and snack.
For example, you’ll get these immediate benefits:
- feeling fuller with less food for longer
- stabilised blood sugar
- loads more energy
- better and efficient digestion
- no afternoon energy slump where you want to reach for an unhealthy pick-me-up
- craving sweet foods no longer
- better sleep
Here’s signs you need to add more protein and healthy fats to your diet:
- hunger an hour or so after eating
- unstable blood sugar/insulin
- energy slumps, particularly mid afternoon
- waking at around 2am and can’t get back to sleep
- constantly tired even though you sleep well, or
- putting on weight and you can’t seem to shift it
Finally, aim for consistency, not perfection.
I can help find your energy leak. Here’s how:
- Book in for a consultation (in Clinic, Zoom or over the phone) to really drill down on what’s draining you and how to get going again – Click here
- Lose weight and reboot your metabolism. A true energy booster – Click here
- Grab a copy of my Rebuild Your Life Journal for 5 simple daily journal prompts to ground you and get those habits and routines important for focus and energy – it’s your daily reset button – Click here
- Not sure what you need? Book in for a 20 minute FREE discovery call chat with me – Click here
- Sign up for my Newsletter for more tips – Click here
With you health in mind,