A friend dropped around with an impressive bounty of fresh vegetables from their ample backyard veggie patch which inspired this simple light meal for a warm Friday night on the balcony.
A perfect finish to a busy week – crisp veggie fritters, punchy salsa and a glass of Pinot Gris. Big sigh……
A cook once : eat twice meal idea
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup plain flour (for GF option use 1/2 cup GF flour) (helps to bind the mixture together)
- 1/2 cup rice flour (this gives an awesome crispness to the fritters)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder or cayenne pepper (adjust amount to your chilli palate)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 275g fresh kernels (or 1 x 400g tin corn kernels, drained)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1 garlic glove, crushed
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander stems, chopped (use the leaves for garnishing, in the salad or the salsa for serving – see below)
Olive or coconut oil for frying (preferably coconut oil – it smells sooo good)
Here’s what you do:
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the veggies.
- Place in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in a frypan. Drop 1 tablespoon of the mixture at a time into the frypan and spread each dollop slightly. Cook on both sides until golden.
- Drain on paper towels placed on a wire rack – this keeps them nice and crispy.
Serve with a garden salad or a salsa.
They’re good on their own, but are fantastic with a sweet chilli sauce or a yoghurt/lemon dressing.
Delicious hot or cold 🙂
Leftovers are great for a weekend breakfast (with an egg), brunch or lunch.